9 things we did on Facebook as teenagers


Last week I found out that Facebook gives you the opportunity to see every information they have about you, from the day you got Facebook.
It's available in desktop mode, you go to settings and press Download data archive.
Another way is to go to your Activity log where you can check everything you ever liked, commented on, was tagged on or posted. EVERYTHING.


Now while the data copy is full of wonderful things like all of your messenger chats you ever had with anyone, all the pictures or videos you sent through it and everything, I found my amusement in the activity log.

Since I have had Facebook since 2008., the amount of cringy stuff I posted or just they way I looked is hilarious to me. So here is what I realized about using Facebook in my teen years.

All the screenshots and examples are real and, unfortunately, mine or from my friends.

1. No messenger era

At the beginning, Mark did not create a private chat, so everyone was writing everything on people's timelines. It wasn't just writing Happy birthday, it was:

Hey, how are you? at my wall
Then I would reply back to that persons wall with a: Great, you?
Because as I recall you couldn't comment on timeline posts then.


Then there were people who add you as a FB friend, you didn't know them, but you accept their request because we all trusted strangers on the internet, and then you would write on their wall: Hey, do we know each other?
And he would reply: "No, but I saw you in a club one time and we have two mutual friends :)"
And you were like: "OK that sounds reasonable."

Messages like: Hey, you coming to school? 
Let's get coffee!
We must talk privately about something!

And the unforgettable posting of hearts on each others FB walls, because that proved real love and friendship.

Good times. 


2. The writing

OH MY GOD, the cringe.

Here is a little dictionary of our ways of expressing at the time:


Normal
 2008-09
 Example
 The letter v
 The letter w
 Lowe you
 hahaha
 xD, LOL, hehe
 xDD 
 Cute
 Awich
 Aawwwich(really cute)
 The letter Š
 Sh
 Sha, shae
The letters Č,Ć
 Ch
 Kjutich

Also instead of writing normally, wE wROtE liKe tHiS.

I mean, we must have had a lot of time on our hands to have to press caps lock on and off for every letter and add unnecessary letters. 


3. Notes

Facebook notes. I guess they were planned as a sort of a blog post, but later they became quizzes where you would fill out answers to some questions, tag your friends, and make them do it also.
The questions were so amazing, but the answers were very specific too:

Rules:
1. Put your music on shuffle
2. For each question, press the next button to get your answer
3. YOU MUST WRITE THAT SONG NAME DOWN NO MATTER HOW SILLY IT SOUNDS! 

What would you describe your love life as:
Chop suey

Where were you in the summer:
Nothing else matters

How are you in school:
In da club

So informative, wow. Also my taste in music was very versatile.

There were others like:

Have you ever licked the back of a CD to try to get it to work?:: 
No.. lol

What's the largest age difference between yourself and someone you’ve dated?
Um..I don't want to say xD 

Did you tag someone here you have a crush on?
Maaaybe.. .xD

Write your name withouth E,S,H,I,M,A:
T ....

I mean this was so popular, but not at all informative, you were like oh I'm so mysterious, but also you are not at all because you just made a note.



4. Quizzes

The quizzes or generators that posted results right to your timeline.

Here is just some of them:
Which type of woman are you?
Which song are you?
R U a guitar hero addict.
Which pet are you?
What is your famous name?
What will your baby look like?

This all helped us young teens value ourselves, get us to laugh for a second, and imagine our future. This is actually much better then the Buzzfeed quizzes which are really popular today, and they are called: Pick your ideal house and we will tell you which pizza topping you are.



5. Games

I loved the games at 2008.
My favorite was Geo challenge. That game is amazing. We would compete against each other and try to out do our scores and it was so awesome. I am proud to say I also had fishes and turtles in the Happy aquarium game, a successful business restaurant in Restaurant city and I did the Word challenge many many times. These were awesome, not much buy-ins then, just pure fun and competition.



6. Ancesters of memes

While today you just scroll and look at memes or short funny videos, at that time you had to join a group to laugh. Kind of. There were millions of FB groups with different names, so if you would join it, your friends would see it and laugh. Or you could like a page that just had a funny name and that didn't post anything in it.

Example,

Matea likes:
-Getting your girlfriend pregnant so you have milk for your cereal
-Getting a hooker in Grand Theft Auto, having sex with her and then taking her money
-Cool guys don't look at explosions
-Sitting in chemistry and not knowing what the fuck is going on
-Can anyone understand what the hell Sean Paul is saying
-Getting shot on purpouse so you can rap about it
-New year new start.. lol jk i still have the same problems i had last year
-What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.. but what happens here, sure as hell gets around fast
-I do what I want when I want whenever I wan't...If my mom says it's OK
-Don't you just hate it when Pitbull knows you want him?

or the "funniest"
"Group for everyone who doesn't drink alcohol"
Then you join and all your friends would be like: HAHAHA so funny, because you do drink a lot, haha you joker you. 

Bad ass.




7. Status

Matea is eating food
Matea is going out of the house.

OK but why the talking in third person?

I also had some like:
"That awkward moment when Santa actually brings you the naked hot boy you asked for and you have to unwrap him in front of your family hahaha."

And some deep stuff:
"A girl only needs 3 things in life, love to make her weak, alcohol to make her strong and friends to pick her up when the other two make her hit the ground"

Wow, so deep. And alcohol to make you strong, really? Calm down 15- year-old me, you got "drunk" once from one glass of juice-vodka. Relax. 




8. Poke

Well we thought poking leads to love at the time. If a guy poked you, he might as well have asked you to marry him. You knew he wanted you. Although pokes were floating around everywhere and meant nothing.

                   


9. The songs

I used to post so many songs. The point was not to share great music with people.The point was to write the ENTIRE LYRICS of the song in the caption, or some part of lyrics, only to tell people how you feel through them. When actually you wanted one person to see it. Here is one of my classics:





As a bonus, here is a list of unacceptable Facebook behavior, that still sometimes happens today:

1. Liking your own posts
2. Getting into political or any kind of arguments in the comment sections with strangers
3. Posting 10+ pictures of the same day/place/person in one album just because you went to lunch with someone
4. Making a common profile with your boyfriend/girlfriend
5. Declaring love to your boyfriend/girlfriend of 3 weeks
6. Posting many pictures of yourself but always in the same pose
7. Putting a picture of you and your boobs/butt/abs and captioning it with a "motivational"          message
8. Sharing literally everything you see
9. Posting a status like: "I feel sad" and when people ask you what happened you answer "I      don't wanna talk about it"
10. Posting gym selfies, bathroom selfies,or in general anything where you took a picture in a dirty mirror

At the end of the day, this is just my opinion. If doing this makes you happy, keep on doing you. I mean, I probably did some of these at one point. 

Thank you Facebook for giving me a chance to drive down the memory lane and delete some of this stuff. Except I know you still have all my information because you are free of charge and this is what you need in return from me and I agreed to it when I said I read the terms and conditions when I actually didn't.


I dedicate this to the "emo" 2008. me.
You rocked these too light nylon socks, 
low black Chuck's with different shoe laces 
and this black bolero!
We made it girl!


                                                               

Primjedbe

Popularni postovi